Faith-based Scholarships

CiaraStahlyCiaraStahly Posts: 5 ✭✭
Summit 2024 First Compass Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
edited December 2022 in Grants & Scholarships

Hi all,

We recently had a donor approach us to create a faith-based scholarship (Christian specifically). We currently don't have any awarding scholarships that have faith-based criteria. Does anyone have a fund like this? If so I would appreciate any information on how you ask this question and the essay question you ask. Also, please let me know if there are any regulations I might not be aware of for faith-based scholarships (I did a search on NSPA and didn't really find anything).

Thanks! :)

Comments

• AudraClodfelterAudraClodfelter Posts: 17 ✭✭✭
    First Comment First Compass Anniversary Beer Expert U.S.A.
    edited January 2021

@CiaraStahly - We don't have any faith-based scholarships, but our policy states that it is allowed. If I were developing this, I would ask for references from individuals who can describe the applicant's spirituality. You could also ask the applicant for an essay describing what their faith means to them. I know that's not much, but I hope it helps!

• TomWickershamTomWickersham Posts: 82 ✭✭✭
    5 LOLs First Comment Photogenic 5 Likes

We have a few scholarships that require being an active participant in a faith based community, and one with a criteria about faith (and running, as this scholarship was set up to memorialize a cross country runner). The essay question reads: "Describe how your commitment to running and your own personal faith in Jesus have impacted your life." It's set up as a supplemental question. I hope that helps!

• We are all faith based at the Jewish community foundation. A recommendation letter is required from a Jewish communal professional or lay leader (i.e. rabbi, teacher, volunteer, board officer serving a Jewish organization) for each applicant. We also state the requirement to be Jewish in the scholarships and also ask this specific essay question as a part of the process: What is your connection to Oregon’s Jewish community? How has it impacted your life?

• ChristinaShaboChristinaShabo Posts: 1
    5-Year Anniversary First Compass Anniversary

Hi Ciara!

Our organization has a couple of faith-based scholarships open and would be happy to connect with you via a quick call to share with you our application, process, and evaluation.

Feel free to email me at christina@CatholicfoundationMichigan.org.

• WendyAbelWendyAbel Posts: 3
    Name Dropper First Comment First Compass Anniversary

Our scholarships go directly to the institution and not to individuals. We let the schools determine who should get the funds. That is the way most of our endowments are set up.