Faith-based Scholarships

Hi all,

We recently had a donor approach us to create a faith-based scholarship (Christian specifically). We currently don't have any awarding scholarships that have faith-based criteria. Does anyone have a fund like this? If so I would appreciate any information on how you ask this question and the essay question you ask. Also, please let me know if there are any regulations I might not be aware of for faith-based scholarships (I did a search on NSPA and didn't really find anything).

Thanks! :)

PeterPfankuch

Comments

• edited January 20

@CiaraStahly - We don't have any faith-based scholarships, but our policy states that it is allowed. If I were developing this, I would ask for references from individuals who can describe the applicant's spirituality. You could also ask the applicant for an essay describing what their faith means to them. I know that's not much, but I hope it helps!

KaraAdamsCiaraStahly
  • We have a few scholarships that require being an active participant in a faith based community, and one with a criteria about faith (and running, as this scholarship was set up to memorialize a cross country runner). The essay question reads: "Describe how your commitment to running and your own personal faith in Jesus have impacted your life." It's set up as a supplemental question. I hope that helps!

KaraAdamsCiaraStahlyMikaylaVale
  • We are all faith based at the Jewish community foundation. A recommendation letter is required from a Jewish communal professional or lay leader (i.e. rabbi, teacher, volunteer, board officer serving a Jewish organization) for each applicant. We also state the requirement to be Jewish in the scholarships and also ask this specific essay question as a part of the process: What is your connection to Oregon’s Jewish community? How has it impacted your life?

CiaraStahlyPamHerman
  • Hi Ciara!

Our organization has a couple of faith-based scholarships open and would be happy to connect with you via a quick call to share with you our application, process, and evaluation.

Feel free to email me at [email protected]

MikaylaVale