Options

Does anyone have experience with a scholarship like this?

KellySheridanKellySheridan Posts: 9 ✭✭✭
Regional Training Photogenic U.S.A. 5 Likes
edited April 2021 in Grants & Scholarships

The Delaware Community Foundation has been approached by a community organizer about doing scholarships for his MERIT STEM program students (grades 9-12 - they qualify if they have been active for the last 4 years in MERIT) but they want to add money to the BASE of the scholarship for other things they do beyond participation - e.g. Exceeding Community Services Hours, Participation in STEM competitions, etc.

Our General Counsel has told us that the tuition part of the scholarship is tax-exempt, but anything ADDED to the scholarship will be taxable to the student, because it will not be for tuition but for their "other college expenses" like room and board, computers, etc. Does anyone have a scholarship like that and can I talk to you how to administer it? Thanks.

Answers

• Options

Hi @KellySheridan! I'm sure there are some other Compass members who have administered MERIT STEM program scholarships. Bumping your conversation back up so others can share their tips!

Kara Adams, M.Ed., CAE (she/her/hers)|Community Manager|kara.adams@foundant.com

Headquartered: Bozeman, MT| Remote Location: Chicago, IL | Direct: 312-802-1374 |www.foundant.com|

• Options
    JesikaEllisJesikaEllis Posts: 148 ✭✭✭
    First Compass Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Likes First Comment

@KellySheridan Let me ask my Programs director - I feel like we do have one or some of these - not exactly the same, but where additional money is provided in excess of the scholarship/tuition award, and I seem to recall a discussion with her about the proper way to inform the recipient about the tax liability for those monies.