Options

Scoring Preferences

Hi everyone! We are doing an audit of all of our scholarships and one question that has come up is what the best practice for scoring preference criteria is. For example, some of our scholarships have a preference for those with financial need or a preference for those that live in a certain area.

Currently, we score these by adding an additional question that can be scored as a 0 or 1 depending on if the student meets that criteria.

Do you have preference criteria on your scholarships? If so, how do you navigate that?

Best Answer

• Options
    RhondaThomsonRhondaThomson Posts: 52 ✭✭✭
    First Compass Anniversary Combo Breaker First Answer 5-Year Anniversary
    Answer ✓

With our financial need, when they answer yes, we ask for a short essay. This then gets scored by the evaluators. We have asked our funders to either ask for financial need or not. We don't offer it as a preference anymore.

If it is a preference for something else, I have a tab labelled preferences in my UA. For example I have one that asks Have you participated in curling programs? Yes or No. When you click on the edit on the right of it, you then go in to applicant opportunities and click which opportunity this goes with.

I would recommend reaching out to the support team though to help you with these, especially if you have a few so not to mess up your UA because they are so complicated! But it's definitely possible. This is year 2 for me with the UA and Lauren was amazing last year helping us getting everything set up.

Answers

• Options

Do you use a universal application?

• Options
    elianapritchettelianapritchett Posts: 13 ✭✭
    Name Dropper First Comment 5 Likes First Compass Anniversary
  • Options
    Answer ✓

With our financial need, when they answer yes, we ask for a short essay. This then gets scored by the evaluators. We have asked our funders to either ask for financial need or not. We don't offer it as a preference anymore.

If it is a preference for something else, I have a tab labelled preferences in my UA. For example I have one that asks Have you participated in curling programs? Yes or No. When you click on the edit on the right of it, you then go in to applicant opportunities and click which opportunity this goes with.

I would recommend reaching out to the support team though to help you with these, especially if you have a few so not to mess up your UA because they are so complicated! But it's definitely possible. This is year 2 for me with the UA and Lauren was amazing last year helping us getting everything set up.

• Options
    CourtneyWhitedCourtneyWhited Posts: 15 ✭✭
    First Comment 5 Likes First Compass Anniversary Photogenic

Good Afternoon,

I am not sure if this is the correct spot to post this question. I am looking for general, college scholarship eligibility criteria. I appreciate any guidance on this topic.

Thank you,

Courtney from Minnesota :)

• Options
    edited April 2023

Hi @CourtneyWhited - What types of criteria are you wondering about? Whether or not your organization can grant to a college/university? For us in Canada, this is made by our government Canada Revenue Agency.

Otherwise, our eligibility comes from our funders who decide what they want their funding to support. ie. Financial Need, geographical locations within our region, etc.

Hope this helps, but feel free to message me if you meant something different.