Options

Scholarships are in, now what

JoleneWillisJoleneWillis Posts: 3
Photogenic First Comment Summit 2024
edited April 23 in Grants & Scholarships

I'm looking for best practices or procedure list of how to process scholarships through SLM before sending apps to evaluators/selection committees. Do you review them and abandon ones that clearly don't qualify, etc. and then mark the app complete, etc? Would appreciate your insights or any shared docs of procedures. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    SarahBurzyckiSarahBurzycki Posts: 14 ✭✭
    First Comment First Compass Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Likes

We do not use the UA so I don't how applicable our process would be if you use UA. During the first screening, we abandon incomplete/draft applications. I run reports for our different scholarships so it's easier to look through the applications for ones that don't meet the hard criteria of a specific scholarship (GPA, type of school attending, major, played sport, etc.). Applications that don't meet the hard criteria I'll draft deny at this point. I use the reports function a lot when we are screening and evaluating applications. I'll then review any remaining ones in the submitted bucket and mark them complete if all the information is there. Early in the application period, it's easier to review and mark complete as they come in but the flurry of applications the last two days is hard to keep up with. It's more efficient for me to run reports first and deny any that don't meet the criteria. I also draft deny as they are submitted if they clearly don't meet hard criteria (ie wrong major). Hope that helps a little.

• Options

Thank you! We have UA and stand alone processes. So you create your reports based on the eligibility criteria and then run it against each year's applicants so you're not reinventing the wheel each year - correct? Thank you for sharing - we're trying to make SLM work harder for us.

• Options
    SarahBurzyckiSarahBurzycki Posts: 14 ✭✭
    First Comment First Compass Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Likes

Yes, generally that is the case. There are some minor updates to the reports each year but it's generally not reinventing the wheel.

• Options
    MollyCerroniMollyCerroni Posts: 37 ✭✭✭
    Photogenic First Answer First Compass Anniversary 5 Likes

We do not use the UA. Using the eligibility quiz keeps applicants away from any scholarships they do not qualify for. We do not consider any applications in draft, only ones that were submitted. Any required items were required questions, but I suppose it could happen that an incorrect document was uploaded. I think there may have been one time in three years we encountered an incorrect document. We had not checked the documents (too many), they "came out in the wash", meaning a reviewer reported it to us.

• Options
    CarolSloperCarolSloper Posts: 7
    Summit 2024 First Compass Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment

We have added required admin only questions within the application for us to validate eligibility. We have to check Yes before we can mark it complete so we don't mistakenly let anything through that hasn't been verified. (We list all of the required elements in the prompt as we have 72 scholarships and all are different eligibility.) This is our second year of doing this and it has dramatically improved our screening process before assigning for review.

If the app doesn't qualify, we notify the applicant and then mark it denied.

I only mark abandoned for drafts that aren't submitted by the deadline.

• Options

Would you mind sharing a copy of your full application with the admin questions in it? j.willis@dekalbccf.org

I'm going to rebuild our UA and put all of our scholarships in it and no stand alone processes (the goal), so I would appreciate seeing the structure of others' apps. We have about 90 scholarships so I feel your pain! ;)