Options

Scholarship Providers Regional Collaboratives

AlyseBraatenAlyseBraaten Posts: 63 ✭✭✭
Regional Training First Compass Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
edited November 2022 in Grants & Scholarships

On our coffee talk today, @SarahBattersby mentioned their regional scholarship providers collaborative. Are you interested in creating a scholarship collaborative in your area? Do you have one already? We would love to hear both questions and advice in this discussion thread. I know I can't wait to learn more!

Alyse Braaten | Manager of Client Services – Grants & Scholarships | www.foundant.com | Bozeman, MT

alyse.braaten@foundant.com | Direct: 406.922.3376 | Cell: 661.364.1012

Comments

• Options
    SarahBattersbySarahBattersby Posts: 9 ✭✭
    First Comment Photogenic First Compass Anniversary 5 Likes

Glad to talk further about if there's interest! We have a good combination of foundations, university providers, (4 year and 2 year), nonprofits and credit unions, and our state educational assistance authority. We meet twice a year. It's been great to share struggles and resources, and it also helps us connect our students to other scholarship opportunities open to them.

• Options
    edited November 2022

When you meet, what's on the agenda? How long do those meetings normally last? What does communication outside the scheduled meetings look like? I would guess this is a lot of keeping a general pulse on the sector and less leveraging funding. Does that sound correct?

Tagging some of our attendees below to help people find the post.

@AshtonWillis @JanetWhite @NatalieWood @KellySheridan @KarinDunn @LaurenWeber @Cathyfitzpatrick @CarolSloper @elliedefrangesco @MichelleFrederickson @SaraCryan @kimminettles @HeatherCrowl @BettieStammerjohn @KatieStout @MichelleCollins @JanineBaschoff @BethNuttall @AlisonEvans @YaniOrtizSuarez @DeborahClark @kristineoconnor @SarahBattersby @KlaraHickmanova@NicoleSmolkovich @CarolynSiegfried @LisaBoxWilliams @ErikaOrsulak @AllisonFindley @MarciTompkins

Alyse Braaten | Manager of Client Services – Grants & Scholarships | www.foundant.com | Bozeman, MT

• Options
    BettieStammerjohnBettieStammerjohn Posts: 98 ✭✭✭
    First Comment 5 Likes Photogenic 5 Insightfuls

@AlyseBraaten , @SarahBattersby

I would love to know more about a regional scholarship provider collaborative!

Bettie

Bettie Stammerjohn

Executive Director

Community Foundation of Greene County, Pennsylvania

• Options
    SarahBattersbySarahBattersby Posts: 9 ✭✭
    First Comment Photogenic First Compass Anniversary 5 Likes
    edited November 2022

We typically meet for about 2 hours (pre-COVID that included some time to eat lunch and generally network). The desire for what hte topic is varies, but we've done general sharing (fall meeting) and some small-group work (spring meeting). I imagine the fall meeting this year will be 1-1.5 hours (since it's virtual) and focus pretty exclusively on COVID and adapting to that. Outside of the meeting, we have a LinkedIn group, and otherwise it's just personal emails. I tend to lean on the collaborative for 2 reasons--1.) helping students find additional support and 2.) helping donors who aren't a fit for our focus and function find a home for their desired scholarship. We also have a list of our partner's scholarships on our resource page here:

• Options

@SarahBattersby Were you part of the start up of this group or did you join it after it was established? I'd be really curious to know if it just started with some emails saying, "hey, we should be talking more."

• Options
    KellieUtzingerKellieUtzinger Posts: 41 ✭✭✭
    Regional Training First Compass Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited August 2020

If you missed it or would like to hear it again, here's the link to the podcast of last week's Scholarships Coffee Talk. There were some great discussions around how some Scholarship providers have setup regional collaboratives to share ideas and support students more effectively.