Compass is a resource for anyone who works in or supports the philanthropic sector. Invite a friend or colleague to join the conversation, and add the Referral Badge to your profile!
Hi from New Orleans! We are considering offering scholarships to dependent children of employees in non-us offices which include Australia, Ireland, Great Britain, France, and Canada. Does anyone have experience with this? Some of my specific questions are:
- We normally make the check payable to the university and the student jointly. What does the payment look like? Is it a wire transfer?
- One of our requirements is that the award go to dependent children. We use the IRS 1040 page 1 to determine dependency. What is equivalent in other countries to prove dependency?
- Will the Foundation get the deduction for the scholarship grant paid internationally or will it just be an expense?
- Do you have different due dates based on different semester breaks or year end breaks? I don't even know if each country's university calendar runs on semesters or not.
- One of our requirements is full-time enrollment status or at least 12 hours in most cases. Any suggestions on what that would look like internationally?
Lisa B. Williams
Goldring Family Foundation