Frustration - why won't students complete follow-ups?

DeirdreMcLoughlinDeirdreMcLoughlin Posts: 62 ✭✭✭
First Compass Anniversary U.S.A. First Comment 5 Likes
edited January 2023 in Grants & Scholarships

So frustrating - we have this lovely software, we have their email addresses, they have been told they are expected to complete a follow up form at the end of each semester!!!!!! Why is it so hard.

I could get the big stick and refuse to pay for their next semester but that seems excessive.

Do we need to add a "texting" ability to our program?

Anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• LaurieAbildsoLaurieAbildso Posts: 68 ✭✭✭
    First Compass Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment Summit 2022

I feel your pain, @DeirdreMcLoughlin! Overall, this group doesn't respond well to email. I usually end up calling and/or texting a few to remind them. Would love to hear others' strategies.

Laurie Abildso

Vice President

Your Community Foundation of North Central West Virginia, Inc.

• DeirdreMcLoughlinDeirdreMcLoughlin Posts: 62 ✭✭✭

Appreciate your comments.

• Excellent suggestion for Idea Lab, @DeirdreMcLoughlin!

Kara Adams, M.Ed., CAE (she/her/hers)|Community Manager|kara.adams@foundant.com

Headquartered: Bozeman, MT| Remote Location: Chicago, IL | Direct: 312-802-1374 |www.foundant.com|

• LisaBoxWilliamsLisaBoxWilliams Posts: 32 ✭✭✭
    First Compass Anniversary First Answer 5 Likes First Comment

I completely agree. I have started texting from my MAC. The parent as the user in my case because it is a scholarship for children of employees, which helps. Each family only has one account and then they can start a new application for each child and they are all together under the employee file. Anywho, I also have tons of employees that are not computer people, but everyone has a smartphone, even employees that aren't great readers. I have added a line in the contact information for parent cell phone numbers and sometimes the student will add theirs. I have thought about adding the student mobile to the initial fall application, has anyone used a text service that sends blasts?

Lisa@goldringfoundation.com

504-849-6078

• HaileyCarmerLaMasterHaileyCarmerLaMaster Posts: 14 ✭✭✭
    Summit 2024 5 Up Votes First Compass Anniversary First Comment

I've had issues that the reminder emails don't come from my familiar email, they come from the @granterinterface email so we are finding the reminders in their junk mail folders.

• LisaBoxWilliamsLisaBoxWilliams Posts: 32 ✭✭✭
    First Compass Anniversary First Answer 5 Likes First Comment

Add a radio button question..

Yes, I have added @grantinterface to my known email. Maybe that will help.

Lisa@goldringfoundation.com

504-849-6078

edited January 2022

Good point on the email address Hailey - that might explain some of their lack of action.

Lisa - what do you mean about adding a radio button question?

Hmmm ... while I don't think this is the issue, I shall try it as it might draw attention to my email.

Thanks so much for your idea and information. So useful.

Deirdre

edited January 2022

@ECPollickByrnes

Texting is not the future, it is the present, so this feature might well be a game changer for a lot of efficiencies and time saving.

I000 to 2000 would be great or will it be a feature that is so successful it will be used more often?

Perhaps if the text says, check your email (i.e. has a limit to the amount of words), would that make this process more doable?

• DebraWhiteDebraWhite Posts: 12 ✭✭
    First Comment First Compass Anniversary 5 Likes Photogenic
    edited February 2022

@DeirdreMcLoughlin

We do not send out scholarship payment until students submit their follow ups. I am new at this, but one thing I have learned is that when the students set up their profiles on SLM, they usually do not have their school email addresses yet. If I've sent out several reminders, with no response, I'll call them; they say they haven't received any emails; I ask for their correct email address, and voila - it's changed.

• leeahmahonleeahmahon Posts: 8 ✭✭✭
    First Compass Anniversary 5 Likes Photogenic Foundant Scholarship Management Certificate

@LaurieAbildso Laurie, do you use a texting service, or are you using your personal cell phone to do so? We run into the same issue with students not completing follow-up forms.

• LaurieAbildsoLaurieAbildso Posts: 68 ✭✭✭
    First Compass Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment Summit 2022

@leeahmahon I use my personal cell phone, which is not ideal. If anyone uses a (reasonably priced) text service they're happy with, I'll take recommendations!

Laurie Abildso

Vice President

Your Community Foundation of North Central West Virginia, Inc.

• leeahmahonleeahmahon Posts: 8 ✭✭✭
    First Compass Anniversary 5 Likes Photogenic Foundant Scholarship Management Certificate
    edited February 2022

@LaurieAbildso I hear you! We are also curious about others' experience with text services to explore that possibility - thanks for your quick response!

edited February 2022

@ECPollickByrnes Question for Foundant - very gratified that you guys are looking at adding the texting ability that some other scholarship software has. Would that be in the near future? If not, I would also like to know about people's experience with text services.

thanks so much