Bequest Best Practices

Hi there!

I am hoping to learn more about bequest practices from other community foundations.

I am curious as to what internal forms/process are used by other foundations? Is there anything others have found to be particularly useful in navigating planned giving, particularly if there is no signed fund agreement?

Are outfacing forms useful for educating potential donors?

I would appreciate any input!

Thank you

Comments

• PamAmundsenPamAmundsen Posts: 21 ✭✭
    First Comment First Compass Anniversary Photogenic 5 Likes

Following this conversation!

• elliemooreelliemoore Posts: 7 ✭✭
    5-Year Anniversary Beer Expert 5 Likes Photogenic

Hi!

We don't have specific forms available publicly, but we do include some language on our website which donors can use in their estate planning to ensure gifts are made appropriately to our CF. You can find that here: https://cfjc.org/giving/estate-planning/. We do try to have estate and legacy planning conversations with our donors prior to their passing to get fund agreements signed and ensure we have a solid plan in place for distributions which align with their charitable interests prior to their passing. Not sure this is exactly what you were looking for, but I hope it's helpful!

Ellie

• RhondaThomsonRhondaThomson Posts: 52 ✭✭✭
    First Compass Anniversary Combo Breaker First Answer 5-Year Anniversary

We have some information on our website on how to leave bequests. You can find more information here - https://www.buildingtomorrowtoday.com/ways-to-give/

• RhondaThomsonRhondaThomson Posts: 52 ✭✭✭
    First Compass Anniversary Combo Breaker First Answer 5-Year Anniversary
    edited January 2022

Hi @kathleensayce . I was curious as to whether or not we had specific policies around bequests and we do not. Bequests are only mentioned under our Gifts Acceptance policy in that we accept them. I would be curious to know if we require a policy to speak to bequests only and will be following for more insight as well!

• kathleensaycekathleensayce Posts: 16 ✭✭✭
    First Comment U.S.A. CSuite First Compass Anniversary

Thanks for the comments, everyone! @KentWeimer your comment on increased giving is an excellent point--I will share this with my board.