Best Practices for using ACHs

LindaClevelandLindaCleveland Posts: 2
First Compass Anniversary 5 Likes Conversation Starter
edited January 2021 in Finance & Operations

Hello,

Our foundation is thinking of moving away from checks and utilizing ACHs to make our grant payments. I was wondering how other organizations that are using ACHs get the banking information from the recipients.

Thank you for your input.

Linda Cleveland

Comments

• JohnnaMartinezJohnnaMartinez Posts: 16 ✭✭✭
    Summit 2024 Name Dropper First Compass Anniversary First Comment

We are in the same boat, so following along to responses:)

• LindaClevelandLindaCleveland Posts: 2
    First Compass Anniversary 5 Likes Conversation Starter

Thanks. This is very insightful!

• KentWeimerKentWeimer Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
    First Compass Anniversary Beer Expert First Comment First Answer

On the flip side of this conversation, I work for the foundation of a large hospital system. I recently requested that a community foundation do an ACH transfer instead of writing a check. We are requesting this of all of our major donors. It means we have to have less staff in the office processing checks during this pandemic. I expect one of the outcomes is more wire transfers in the future as opposed to checks.

I applaud those who are being proactive in this regards!

Kent C. Weimer, Chartered Advisor in Philanthropy®

Director of Trusts, Estates and Gift Planning, Parkland Foundation

• SheilaStegerSheilaSteger Posts: 5 ✭✭
    First Compass Anniversary 5-Year Anniversary Summit 2022 5 Likes

Following along as well as our bank is not helpful at all with us trying to do this, so we are "at sea" trying to figure out the most secure way to do this.

• SusanHaleySusanHaley Posts: 1
    Photogenic First Compass Anniversary

All this information is very helpful. I have a question that I'm wondering if other foundations have, and if so, how have you been dealt with it? For slight background, we are a small-staffed family foundation. As with others on this thread, we are considering moving toward wire transfers (ACH's).

Our internal rules and regulations require two signatures on checks over $2,000. Do any of you have this requirement and if so, is there a workaround for the two signature rule? What are best practices? We absolutely want everything to be squared away for our annual audit.

I appreciate in advance any and all suggestions/ideas.

Thank you,

Susan Haley, Dean & Margaret Lesher Foundation

• SheilaStegerSheilaSteger Posts: 5 ✭✭
    First Compass Anniversary 5-Year Anniversary Summit 2022 5 Likes

Great question! We also require two signatures on checks. I am guessing that, once we figure out how to set up the ACH transfers, we would create an internal procedure that requires two officers to sign off on the transfer. We do that now with all banking transactions so I don't foresee that being a huge hurdle to accomplish.

• BeckySchroederBeckySchroeder Posts: 9 ✭✭✭
    First Compass Anniversary Photogenic 5 Likes Summit 2022

We are just starting this process, so I don't know how it will shake out, but we are using a DocuSign form to collect the account and routing information.

• BonnieFadelBonnieFadel Posts: 9
    Summit 2024 First Compass Anniversary First Comment 5 Likes

We are just starting both Foundant and ACH payments, and also question when to obtain the bank information. Has anyone requested the bank info before grants are approved? We're concerned that if we wait until grants are awarded, it will take a while for some organizations to provide the info.

• JaninneNoccoJaninneNocco Posts: 6 ✭✭
    5 Likes Summit 2024 First Compass Anniversary First Comment

We are only doing ACH for grantees. We have them complete their contact and provide us with a void check.

• BethNuttallBethNuttall Posts: 49 ✭✭✭
    First Compass Anniversary First Comment Photogenic First Answer

We started doing ACHs with the pandemic. We have a direct deposit agreement PDF that the recipient completes and emails back to us (they can add password protection). We enter that info into our bank ACH processing system, save it, and destroy the PDF. We send the DD agreement to grantees along with the award letter in an email. They usually respond fairly quickly.

For any payments requiring second signature, we get the second signature via an email approval and include that as backup in the payment documentation, along with the ACH confirmation page.

• BonnieFadelBonnieFadel Posts: 9
    Summit 2024 First Compass Anniversary First Comment 5 Likes

Thanks! I'm glad to hear they respond quickly.

• DeborahMuellerDeborahMueller Posts: 12 ✭✭
    First Compass Anniversary First Comment 5-Year Anniversary 5 Likes

We opted to make our grant payments via bill.com. It allows for approvals on amounts to pay, so is a good internal control, and is free for the grantees so long as they set their account up for receipts only. We collect the grantee's bill.com information in a follow up form we assign to the applicant when the grant is approved; the auto email that is sent when the follow up form is assigned is our announcement of the grant. I've attached the question list for the form - see section 2 for the bill.com-related information we collect.

• Thank you for everyone's responses. We are looking into this now and your experiences are so helpful!

• loritrenholmloritrenholm Posts: 22 ✭✭✭
    First Comment Summit 2024 First Compass Anniversary 5 Likes

Thank you everyone! We're interested in moving to ACH payments and you've discussed a lot of options.

• justinmillerjustinmiller Posts: 2
    First Comment Conversation Starter

Thanks everyone for the input! One of the foundations I'm working with is interested in streamlining the collection of ACH information, and I wanted to share some findings after our research, both from a security and IT perspective, since that's my background. I hope it's beneficial for other community foundations!

Without an elegant way to automate this (ie, bulk import, direct input by end users, etc), most foundations follow a similar process where (i) someone sends in their ACH info to the foundation, (ii) someone at the foundation copies and enters this information manually, and (iii) the original source doc is destroyed. There are 3 main ways foundations seem to be doing this today:

1. Using a direct deposit authorization form (PDF)

2. Using an online tool such as Google Forms, DocuSign, Submittable, etc

3. Sending a voided check via postal mail

From a process perspective, #1 and #3 are the simplest, since they require the fewest number of steps.

From a security perspective, #3 is the least secure, and assuming #1 is password protected with a strong password, there isn't a material difference between #1 and #2 since they both use different forms of encryption to protect sensitive information. The biggest thing we want to avoid is transmitting confidential information over an unencrypted channel.

Hope this helps!

• We, too, pay via ACH. The award notification is accompanied by three documents: (1) Grant Acknowledgement Form; (2) PDF-fillable ACH Authorization Form; and (3) Acknowledgement and Permissions Policy. Upon return of the first two documents, I begin the process of payment transmission with our bank. We're moving to DocuSign in 2024 so I searched the community to see how others have handled, for snafus, etc. Any comments and time savers are welcome. Thanks in advance.

• JessicaGebhardJessicaGebhard Posts: 3 ✭✭
    5 Likes First Comment First Compass Anniversary Photogenic

We collect banking information from new grantees via email (I'm not thrilled by this, but haven't had a moment to figure out anything better, especially since we work with very small and very new organizations, some of which aren't particularly tech-savvy) or over the phone. That is then set up as an ACH payment with our bank, and I send them a heads-up before the funds are transmitted, and include a timeframe by which to expect the grant, with a note to let me know if there's an issue.

For recurring grantees, as part of their grant acknowledgement (which is just a form in Foundant), I've added a field that's the name of the bank they provided me and the last 2 digits of their account, and they have to check a box confirming whether that's still their banking information. If they say "no" then I follow up with them to get their new information.

It sounds like a lot of people are using DocuSign - I'll look into it as a secure option instead of email :)

• MonicaThornsMonicaThorns Posts: 6
    5 Likes First Compass Anniversary Regional Training First Comment
    edited November 2023

@JessicaGebhard, thanks for keeping this conversation going. I simply queried using "DocuSign" and "ACH" to see what would come up. Right now I'm on a fact-finding mission as we will make the change to e-signatures in 2024. We, too, use Foundant. Their process and video seem straight forward, but we know there's always a way to learn from those who've travelled the path before. Input on DocuSign versions is also welcome. I'm thinking that the free version may be sufficient for our needs but know I don't need to be "pound foolish". The ED has already signed off a required expense.

We have two grant cycles per year so there's time to work out any kinks but I would like to pilot it with some Discretionary grants that most likely will occur prior our first grantmaking payments in June. I want to streamline and automate the process as best I can. Happy to brainstorm and pass along information I may receive from the meeting with the prior mentioned colleague.

Monica

monica@christopherff.org

• JulieLooperJulieLooper Posts: 5 ✭✭
    5 Likes First Comment Regional Training First Compass Anniversary

We process all of our grants, whether annual grant cycle distributions or monthly donor advised fund grant requests, agency funds, etc., all are processed via ACH. We use DocuSign to collect the information as there is an option to encrypt it, so if someone does access a copy, they can't see the actual numbers on the form. We enter the information into Foundant and our finance director sets the account distribution up through our bank's secure site. This has worked well for us, took a little while for all grantees to get on board, but we have been processing this way for about a year and saves a lot of time and expense.

• MonicaThornsMonicaThorns Posts: 6
    5 Likes First Compass Anniversary Regional Training First Comment
    edited November 2023

@JulieLooper, thanks for your response. I'm in the midst of Discretionary payouts from yesterday before I continue with our second grant cycle determinations (also last night). I know grantees appreciate getting money sooner!

I've not had any problems obtaining the ACH information, just want to streamline it even more as I'm collecting, verifying, and coordinating with the bank. Just wanted to know more about what I've not yet done from someone who has. Would love a quick conversation/Zoom, but obviously not yet since I need to get through this cycle. Thanks.

Monica