Options

Scholarships -- Determining Financial Need

2»

Comments

• Options
    DeirdreMcLoughlinDeirdreMcLoughlin Posts: 63 ✭✭✭
    First Compass Anniversary U.S.A. First Comment 5 Likes

Without the SAI number this year, we have ranked as above. We have asked for AGI and if they are receive free and reduced lunch. We always ask if there are any Special Circumstances that relate to the family's finances. Also mentioned this question to all the counselors so that they might emphasize the importance of it, particularly this year.

• Options
    MollyCerroniMollyCerroni Posts: 37 ✭✭✭
    Photogenic First Answer First Compass Anniversary 5 Likes

Deirdre, I see in a previous post that your staff determines the points using the rubric, and then that number is delivered to the commitees. How do you use Foundant to do that? I imagine that you keep the questions that you are using visibility on the questions so that the committee does not see them, but where are you recording the numbers so that they do see those? Are you using different evaluation stages? Do you have a question built into the application for recording? Thanks!

• Options

In the common application there is a question where I record the financial ranking (#1-#5) that is visible to the evaluators but they do not see any of the details.

• Options

Does anyone truly determine financial need, as in, this list of students has an outstanding balance of some dollars after institutional scholarships, federal/state/institutional financial aid, and guaranteed student loan?

Also, do you limit the number of scholarships or the total amount awarded to any one student for the year? For the undergraduate years?

• Options

Yes, I have one particular scholarship that is firmly based on financial need so we review their financial package from their college (which includes all of the above) and then ascertain their actual need and award accordingly.

Great question on the limit the number of scholarships. If a student gets a Daniels or Boettcher, we remove them from our deliberation all together. If a student gets a large scholarship, we will remove them from our other scholarships. Sometimes, a committee will want to share an award between two students because they are both deserving. I have one committee that has school counselors from 3 different high school and it just happens that virtually every applicant gets something. All students meet the criteria of each scholarships in question.

Is this helpful

• Options

Deirdre,

So helpful, thank you. How is your evaluation season set up? Do you choose, or does a donor choose, the Daniels and Boettcher through your foundation? Is that one chosen first I imagine? Can you let me know about the flow of decision making? Also, do you provide most of the scholarships in your region?

• Options

Oh I see it now, after doing a little homework. The Boettcher is a Colorado scholarship. That was my next question, do you consider other "wins" from the area.

Thank you!