Options

Challenge Grant Cancellation Letter Example

JoyceBrasherJoyceBrasher Posts: 38 ✭✭✭
First Compass Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment 5-Year Anniversary
edited February 2023 in Grants & Scholarships

In GLM we make challenge grant awards with a dollar for dollar match. Once they raise the match we match with our commitment. We have a challenge that isn't going to be met and we need to cancel it in GLM, but I need to send a formal letter advising them of the cancellation. I was wondering if anyone has done this in the past that might be willing to share their letter with me before I create a new one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Joyce Brasher

The Daniel Foundation of Alabama

Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    CateSittonCateSitton Posts: 2
    First Comment First Compass Anniversary
    edited March 2023

Hi J@JoyceBrasher, almost all of our grants are challenge grants and a handful of times the grant partner has not been able to meet the challenge. In those cases we extend the deadline and work closely with them to help them find a way to raise the funds. If, after those efforts, they are still unable to make the match we make changes to the amount awarded and pay them what was matched or simply pay the grant without the full match. I know this doesn't answer your question but does offer some insight into how another funder handles this situation. If I were to create a letter it would be short and sweet stating they didn't meet the requirements of the grant and therefore, it's rescinded.

Cate Sitton

The Carl and Marie Anderson Charitable Fdn.

• Options
    JoyceBrasherJoyceBrasher Posts: 38 ✭✭✭
    First Compass Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment 5-Year Anniversary
    edited March 2023

Cate,

Thank you for our response!

We try to work with the organizations as well. Our desire is for them to meet the challenge so we attempt to extend the time frame or pay the challenge in smaller amounts as funds are secured. We seldom get to a point were the organization decides they are unable to go forward or their project was cancelled.

I ended up creating a letter and I've attached a copy here if anyone is interested.

• Options
    CateSittonCateSitton Posts: 2
    First Comment First Compass Anniversary

Thanks Joyce, I like the letter - short and to the point - it'll be good to have this for future use.