B.A. vs B.S. - Type of 4 year Degree for Scholarship

BettieStammerjohnBettieStammerjohn Posts: 98 ✭✭✭
First Comment 5 Likes Photogenic 5 Insightfuls
edited November 2022 in Grants & Scholarships

Hi all

I have a donor who would like to limit their scholarship applications to students who will be studying for a B.S. degree only (in addition to a STEM field of study - to include nursing and vo-ag). Students planning to study at a technical, vocational, business school are also eligible to apply for a scholarship - but only the 2 or 4 year degree gets the stipulation of B.S.

I've been trying to find some information on BS vs BA degrees - and trying to discourage this limitation.

Does anyone else have this as a criteria? If so , How do you handle it?

My take is multiple:

1) We have never asked that question (type of degree) on our application. I really don't want to start into that since we have scholarships that range from certificate programs (technical/vocational/business schools) to 2- and 4-year college/university programs.

2) I don't think most students are even thinking along those lines of B.A. vs. BS.

3) My big concern is that a B.S. degree in some schools may be a B.A. at another - for example, one local school I looked at you can get a B.A or a B.S. in mathematics.

4) I have one student this past year attending a college that does not require them to declare a major until into their sophomore year - so how would you know it is a BA or BS?

I know I can use the eligibility quiz to delineate type of degree, but would I really get a student who knows what their planning to major it. (and majors sometimes change from application to enrollment.)

Thoughts?

Thanks so much

Bettie

Bettie Stammerjohn

Executive Director

Community Foundation of Greene County, Pennsylvania