Style of Governance

KentWeimerKentWeimer Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
First Compass Anniversary Beer Expert First Comment First Answer
edited March 2021 in Board & Leadership

Organizations have different needs, ways to operate and varying styles of governance. I'm curious about the successes and dilemmas you realize from how your board operates.

I was chair of the board of a national organization recently and we used the Carver style of governance. The board worked on ends and the staff were left alone to work on the means. I found this created a great working relationship between staff and board and gave guidance to the board on our activities. The board was successful because it kept its focus on outcomes and the big picture. Last year for example, our board created Vision 2020 with four work areas to direct our actions for the entire year. At each meeting we reported on the advancement of each work area and looked at the outcomes of each. After each board meeting one of the board members would give an analysis of the board work for that session. We developed a standard set of questions to evaluate our board work. This helped keep us focused.

What are your board success and horror stories?

Kent C. Weimer, Chartered Advisor in Philanthropy®

Director of Trusts, Estates and Gift Planning

Parkland Foundation

Comments

• DianaSheaDianaShea Posts: 8
    First Comment 5 Likes

This sounds amazing! Glad to hear of such a successful working model. Who suggested this model and how long has it been in use with your board?

• KentWeimerKentWeimer Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
    First Compass Anniversary Beer Expert First Comment First Answer

Hi @DianaShea

That has been the model for that board for years. And as both a board member and board chair I found it a great model of governance. I don't know the history of how it got implemented.

Here are some resources for this policy governance model.

Just an aside, I used to live in Oak Park. Most of my adult life was in the Chicago area. My daughter was born in Oak Park Hospital.

Cheers,

Kent