Finance Associate - the Community Foundation of Greater Chattanooga
About the Foundation
For almost 60 years, the Community Foundation of Greater Chattanooga has strengthened the community by transforming generosity into lasting change. It exists to connect donors’ passions and their values with purpose, so that they can have a meaningful impact on the community. The mission of the Community Foundation is to transform generosity into lasting change toward a more just and prosperous Chattanooga where all residents can reach their full potential. The Community Foundation of Greater Chattanooga is a trusted community partner, serving at the intersection between ideas and action, needs and resources, donors, and non-profits. The Community Foundation currently has assets under management of more than $220M. The Foundation distributes over $20M a year in grants annually.
The Finance Associate is a team-oriented professional with accounting and financial background who helps to carry forward the Foundation’s mission by ensuring financial information is accurate and timely.
The person in this role works with the Finance & Administration and Philanthropy departments to ensure donor and partner confidence through accuracy and compliance with Foundation and Internal Revenue Service guidelines. The Finance Associate will be responsible for helping with the financial reporting of the organization, as well as, the day to day accounting and finance functions. This position reports to the Senior Accountant and is primarily responsible for supporting the Community Foundation’s mission by ensuring the timely and accurate processing of accounting transactions and reporting. The position will require access to sensitive and confidential information; discretion is required of the person in this role.
· Maintain accurate and up-to-date financial records, including accounts payable and receivable, general ledger entries, expense reports, and bank reconciliations. Ensure compliance with accounting principles and internal policies.
· Input financial data into accounting software systems and databases, ensuring accuracy and completeness. Update and maintain financial spreadsheets and reports on a regular basis. Retrieve and analyze financial information as needed.
· Assist in managing accounts payable activities, including processing invoices, verifying payment requests, verifying W-9 and ACH information, and reconciling vendor statements. Prepare and issue invoices for the organization's services or products. Monitor and follow up on outstanding payments.
· Collaborate with the Finance Department in budget preparation and monitoring. Assist in compiling budget data, tracking expenses, and analyzing budget variances. Contribute to financial reports and presentations as required.
· Generate and distribute financial reports, statements, and summaries for management, board members, and other stakeholders. Assist in preparing financial statements for audits, tax filings, and grant applications.
· Support the Finance Department in maintaining compliance with financial regulations and reporting requirements. Help prepare documentation for audits, reviews, and internal control procedures. Assist in ensuring adherence to grant funding guidelines and reporting obligations.
· Provide general administrative support, such as managing calendars, scheduling meetings, maintaining files, and handling correspondence. Assist in organizing financial meetings, conferences, and events.
· Collaborate with other departments, team members, and external stakeholders to gather financial information, resolve discrepancies, and ensure smooth financial operations. Communicate effectively and professionally with internal and external parties regarding financial matters.
· Assist in the collection and verification of employee credit card charges/receipts with applicable software.
· Enter all gifts into the foundation’s accounting system, prepare gift batches and prepare gift receipts in a timely manner.
· Perform administrative support tasks such as proofreading, transcribing handwritten information, taking minutes and utilizing computers in work with, invoices, and other documents.
· Other duties as assigned by the Senior Accountant and VP of Finance & Administration.
Key Experience & Competencies
- 2+ years accounting or financial experience
- Bachelor degree in accounting/finance or equivalent business experience.
- Proficient in Financial Accounting Software; Non-profit experience a plus.
Department Finance & Administration
Location Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Job Type Full Time
Salary and Benefits
Salary Range $52,100 to $58,100
Excellent benefits including paid medical, dental and life insurance; 403b and generous leave time.
Submit resume with cover letter. No phone calls or emails, please.
The Community Foundation of Greater Chattanooga (CFGC) is committed to the perspective of all voices and encourages diversity of applicants and within our organization. CFGC is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Application Closing Date: