How has your foundation managed database functions / jobs internally?

Hi,

TCF transitioned to CSuite in September 2020 and is seeing the need for a FT role to focus primarily on CSuite, and help our teams use it to its maximum ability. (We are a staff of 19.) I am proposing that the role be focused on marrying our internal operations to our strategic goals with CSuite as the explicit tool to do so. In other words, it will not be focused only on cleaning up data, but will focus on creating a culture of data integrity and reach higher in scope.

I am curious to hear of your organization's experience with internal database roles. Below are a list of questions but feel free to chime in with any information you'd like to share.

How has your foundation managed internal database work? Are the roles and responsbilities spread out across multiple staff or concentreated within 1 or a few?

If concentrated within 1 role, would you be open to sharing that job description? Who does that role report to?

Did any new roles appear after transition to new systems?

Has your database administrator role become more strategic with time? If so, please elaborate!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• BettieStammerjohnBettieStammerjohn Posts: 98 ✭✭✭
    First Comment 5 Likes Photogenic 5 Insightfuls

following

Bettie Stammerjohn

Executive Director

Community Foundation of Greene County, Pennsylvania

• KaraGeigerKaraGeiger Posts: 9 ✭✭✭
    Photogenic Beer Expert First Compass Anniversary 5 Likes

This is just the thread I was looking for! We are also in the process of defining a new "Database Manager" position for our statewide community foundation (current staff of 8). A big part of the job, at least initially, will be data clean up (identifying "hidden" duplicate profiles, creating and managing lists, updating contact information and adding demographic info for active donors). We also want this person to engage in prospect research and wealth screening, as well as assist the development team with the database and admin side of fundraising events. So, not really JUST a database manager! We're open to suggestions on the position title.

If anyone has any job descriptions that sound similar to what I described, would you be willing to share? Thanks!

Kara L. Geiger

Development Director

North Dakota Community Foundation

• KaraGeigerKaraGeiger Posts: 9 ✭✭✭
    Photogenic Beer Expert First Compass Anniversary 5 Likes

@JesikaEllis Thank you! This is so perfect!

Kara L. Geiger

Development Director

North Dakota Community Foundation

• MaryEllenCenzalliMaryEllenCenzalli Posts: 19 ✭✭✭
    5 Likes First Compass Anniversary First Comment Summit 2024
    edited July 2022

Hi all, this is a great thread! Is there a specific group just for database management or other resources for CSuite? I’m transitioning from Raisers Edge and love chatting about all things development and stewardship.

• JaneLitzJaneLitz Posts: 4 ✭✭
    First Comment First Compass Anniversary 5 Likes Photogenic

Thanks to everyone for their continued posts - all are appreciated!