Options

3rd Party Question- Scholarships

tamikafishertamikafisher Posts: 6
Photogenic First Compass Anniversary Conversation Starter
edited December 2022 in Grants & Scholarships

I'm in the process of building a branching question around the student Expected Family Contribution (EFC) off the upload of the FAFSA report. When I tried to build the branching rule, I was unable to do so.

Does anyone know how to build a branching question from a file upload? Is this even possible to do?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    BettieStammerjohnBettieStammerjohn Posts: 98 ✭✭✭
    First Comment 5 Likes Photogenic 5 Insightfuls

@tamikafisher - I am fairly new to this also. But I think the branching needs to be done off of a question asked of the student. Not off an upload.

So you would need to ask the student to report in a question field such as "What is (or Please provide here) the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) amount listed on your Student Aid Report from the FAFSA?"

I can tell you that based on the number of issues I have with getting the Student Aid Report uploaded properly, that the likelihood of getting the correct amount answered in your question would render the branching unusable. Sorry to sound so negative on that. More often than not, neither the student, nor the parent, has any idea of what the Student Aid Report is, much less the Expected Family Contribution.

This year I am providing a link to a sample Student Aid Report on our FAFSA upload question and telling them - only upload the first page. We'll see how that goes. Reading directions is a lost art.

We've had problems with the FAFSA section for 13 years of paper applications and 1 year as an online application.

You might ask your CSM about this. They might have a work around solution.

Bettie

Bettie Stammerjohn

Executive Director

Community Foundation of Greene County, Pennsylvania

• Options

Thank you, Bettie. Both of those are good suggestions. I'm only a month into my new position so any information provided is helpful. :)

Best

Tamika