Hi from New Orleans! We are considering offering scholarships to dependent children of employees in non-us offices which include Australia, Ireland, Great Britain, France, and Canada. Does anyone have experience with this? Some of my specific questions are:
- We normally make the check payable to the university and the student jointly. What does the payment look like? Is it a wire transfer?
- One of our requirements is that the award go to dependent children. We use the IRS 1040 page 1 to determine dependency. What is equivalent in other countries to prove dependency?
- Will the Foundation get the deduction for the scholarship grant paid internationally or will it just be an expense?
- Do you have different due dates based on different semester breaks or year end breaks? I don't even know if each country's university calendar runs on semesters or not.
- One of our requirements is full-time enrollment status or at least 12 hours in most cases. Any suggestions on what that would look like internationally?
Lisa B. Williams
Goldring Family Foundation
(Cross-posted by Community Manager)