Options

Pursuing Federal Grants

JulieAsselJulieAssel Posts: 22 ✭✭✭
First Compass Anniversary 5 Likes Cat Person Grant Professional Certified

If you are new to federal grants, I'm available to answer questions you want to post here. I know it isn't easy to get started with federal grants without starting one, so no question is too basic or stupid. In addition, I've co-presented multiple trainings with Foundant - you can see them here: https://resources.foundant.com/authors/julie-assel If you attended any of them - or watched the recording, feel free to post any questions you may have. I love to hear what you are running into. Some of the best trainings I have ever received have been conversations with other people who had more experience on a topic than I did.

Julie Assel, GPC

President/CEO

Comments

• Options
    AndreaBGarciaAndreaBGarcia Posts: 4
    5 Likes Photogenic Beer Expert First Compass Anniversary
    edited September 2020

Hi @JulieAssel ,

First, I'd like to say thank you for the great webinar! I have some past experience with federal funding and like you, I absolutely love it. Unfortunately, I don't get to write a lot of federal grants in my current position (though I do work on some fun grants!). What resources would you suggest for someone who is not actively pursuing federal grants but would like to stay up to date with any changes in management requirements, new programs, lingo, etc?

Also, thank you for the great resources and articles you have on your site. I'm working on my GPC application and studying for the test and they have been very helpful!

Thank you,

Andrea

• Options

@AndreaBGarcia ,

Have you thought about reviewing federal grants? This is a great way to keep in touch on federal grants without writing federal grants.

I'm glad to hear you are working on your GPC! Feel free to tell us what other articles or resources would be helpful for you!

Julie Assel, GPC

President/CEO

• Options

I will be answering questions from the training last week. Here is the first one. 1) It always seems to me that federal grants offer large grants to a small number of recipients. The odds of winning a federal grant seem to be very slim.

Answer:

1) Yes, the odds of winning a federal grant is slim. There are many people who write federal grants who are not every fully following the directions so program officers say that 1/3 of the grants submitted aren't really competitive.

2) But the more you write, the more likely you are to be funded. Success really does breed success. This is one of the reasons that you seems the same names over and over again. Once you figure out how to write them, you are more likely to write lots of them.

Julie Assel, GPC

President/CEO