Hi there from Orange County, CA!

AndreaBGarciaAndreaBGarcia Posts: 4
5 Likes Photogenic Beer Expert First Compass Anniversary
edited September 2021 in Introduce Yourself!

Hi grant friends!

I'm Andrea Garcia and I live and work in sunny (for now) Southern California. I currently serve as the Grants Manager at a non-profit that provides prenatal and postpartum education, support, and one-on-one visitation to pregnant women and new moms. Before this role, I worked to help fund affordable housing and homeownership opportunities in my community.

I like short walks nowhere near the beach, long books, and lots of hiking and camping.

Looking forward to getting to know you all!

Andrea

Comments

• Hi Andrea!

Books, hiking and camping! I definitely agree! Did you find any badges that match those interests? let me know if we need to add some.

We look forward to hearing from your on our community! Thanks for joining!

• KentWeimerKentWeimer Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
    First Compass Anniversary Beer Expert First Comment First Answer

Great work @AndreaBGarcia

The hospital I work at is the second busiest labor and delivery in the US. We are also a safety net hospital for our county, so most of our patients have no insurance, most are minorities and many do not speak English. Yet, with those challenges, about 95% of mom's have had prenatal care and receive postpartum care. The work you do is so important.

Best,

Kent

• Thank you @KentWeimer, it's an amazing job and I am so inspired by our program team that serves our clients with so much dedication and care.

And thank you for your work - hospitals like yours play such an important role in the health of the women we serve, especially when they understand the risks they face.

Thanks, @TammyTilzey! I found some great badges I'm going to request, but I'd love to see a hiking or a camping badge for those of us who are a little intents. :)

Best,

Andrea

@AndreaBerman,

One of our funding priorities is a program our hospital is calling Extending Maternal Care After Pregnancy (eMCAP). Research has shown that many maternal health issues occur after the time limit for medicaid funding for care ends.We are raising money to help provide postpartum care well beyond what medicaid will fund.

Thought you might find that interesting.

Kent

• @KentWeimer That is such important work. I would love to see the program's results if you have any. I think a program like that will help so many women, especially the women that we serve who often experience more negative maternal health outcomes. I'm excited to hear that this is something you're focusing on - I hope more hospitals head in that direction.

Andrea

I'll see if I have some information I can share about that @AndreaBGarcia . I know we have research showing the problem, I don't know what we have yet related to outcomes.