Options

Share your favorite grant writing tips and tricks!

Let's create an epic list of tips! Share your tried and true advice here. Specific scenarios and examples are welcome!

Kara Adams, M.Ed., CAE (she/her/hers)|Community Manager|kara.adams@foundant.com

Headquartered: Bozeman, MT| Remote Location: Chicago, IL | Direct: 312-802-1374 |www.foundant.com|

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    DianeDemarestDianeDemarest Posts: 35 ✭✭✭
    First Compass Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Likes

I've had to work really hard at shorter sentences but now I'm working with other folks in my org to shorten, shorten, shorten. Think newspaper, people can't digest sentences that are 40 words long!

• Options
    JohnaRodgersGPCJohnaRodgersGPC Posts: 8 ✭✭✭
    Photogenic 5 Likes First Compass Anniversary National Center for Family Philanthropy (NCFP)

Under promise and over deliver. Everything takes more time than you think!!

Johna Rodgers, GPC

Owner, Principal Consultant | Johna Rodgers Consulting, LLC

johnarodgersgpc@gmail.com |

https://twitter.com/JohnaRodgersGPC

• Options
    BethNobleBethNoble Posts: 1

Use a logic model to develop a new project, then build the proposal.

• Options

Either write to the rubric the entire time OR have someone external to the project compare the application to the criteria. If they don't provide any, make a rubric based on the criteria and get feedback based on a reviewer's perspective.

Also speaking from a reviewer's perspective, Federal, state, and local - be organized in your application so that it matches back to the RFP. Never send a reviewer on a goose chase. They might miss something important.

Dr. Ericka Harney, CAE, CFRE, GPC, CVA

ericka@erickaharney.com | 859-492-0677

Consultant & Coach to Nonprofits - Harney & Associates, LTD

• Options

Keep core grant content handy and updated. While no application is the same, there certainly are similarities in terms of the questions that are asked and what you are required to submit. Maintaining core content in the form of a master proposal will make the writing experience much easier.