Options

How have professional advisors impacted your development strategy? [Coffee Talk]

MargaretOwenSpiakMargaretOwenSpiak Posts: 2 ✭✭
Photogenic First Compass Anniversary CSuite Certified Fund Raising Executive
edited September 2022 in Fund Development

Use this discussion to share experiences and best practices to supplement the Coffee Talk, Working with Professional Advisors. Other topics of discussion include:

- What role do professional advisors play in your organizations?

- What are some ways foundations can help professional advisors and their clients?

- What approaches have you seen work or not work in your engagement with professional advisors?

- Do you hold events, programming, or educational opportunities for professional advisors?

Best Answer

• Options
    KentWeimerKentWeimer Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
    First Compass Anniversary Beer Expert First Comment First Answer
    edited August 2022 Answer ✓

@MargaretOwenSpiak

We have an active and engaged council of professional advisors at Parkland Foundation. We meet quarterly at 8 am. Our goal is to have them become educated advocates. At the meetings they hear from some content expert on a program our foundation is funding. Most of our advisors are generous supporters of the foundation and many have engaged clients with us. We have raised millions of $ from the direct work of advisors with their clients.

One of the ways I have engaged individual advisors is by becoming a member of our local estate planning council. This offers an extraordinary networking opportunity.

To make our council look more like the community we serve, we are actively recruiting younger and minority advisors. We had one meeting where we requested that each member bring a guest. We got several great candidates from that meeting.

We have asked members of larger firms to bring in a younger colleague to join us so we have a built in transition for when the older advisor retires.

A side benefit is that membership on the council has been an amazing pathway to serve on our board of directors. We currently have five board members who are on our advisor council.

I love working with my professional advisors. It is one of the highlights of my job.

Thanks.

Kent C. Weimer, Chartered Advisor in Philanthropy®

Director of Trusts, Estates and Gift Planning

Parkland Foundation

Answers

• Options
    KentWeimerKentWeimer Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
    First Compass Anniversary Beer Expert First Comment First Answer
    edited August 2022 Answer ✓

@MargaretOwenSpiak

We have an active and engaged council of professional advisors at Parkland Foundation. We meet quarterly at 8 am. Our goal is to have them become educated advocates. At the meetings they hear from some content expert on a program our foundation is funding. Most of our advisors are generous supporters of the foundation and many have engaged clients with us. We have raised millions of $ from the direct work of advisors with their clients.

One of the ways I have engaged individual advisors is by becoming a member of our local estate planning council. This offers an extraordinary networking opportunity.

To make our council look more like the community we serve, we are actively recruiting younger and minority advisors. We had one meeting where we requested that each member bring a guest. We got several great candidates from that meeting.

We have asked members of larger firms to bring in a younger colleague to join us so we have a built in transition for when the older advisor retires.

A side benefit is that membership on the council has been an amazing pathway to serve on our board of directors. We currently have five board members who are on our advisor council.

I love working with my professional advisors. It is one of the highlights of my job.

Thanks.

Kent C. Weimer, Chartered Advisor in Philanthropy®

Director of Trusts, Estates and Gift Planning

Parkland Foundation