How do you use CSuite to support your development plan?

I have been charged with creating a defined development plan for our community foundation. We love CSuite and it makes sense to me that we want our new procedures to work well with the system. If you have a written development plan and use CSuite, would you be open to sharing? Thanks for your consideration.

KatieAlfordserenamarreroHollySpitzLaurelShulmanSaraChiabaiChristyVreeland

Best Answers

• Accepted Answer

@LoriMartini we completed a Stewardship Plan just before the pandemic hit (and had planned to create our Development Plan this past year but am guessing that is a few months out). Not sure if this is of interest to you, but would be willing to share it if it is. For me, the biggest change needed to help implement this plan in CS was changing our Note Types so that we could track the different stewardship inputs. I can share this document, too, if you would like.

I too would love to chat about Development Plans and CS!!!

KaraAdamsTammyTilzey
  • Accepted Answer

@SaraChiabai Could you share more about your note types - give examples of how you changed them to track stewardship inputs? It sounds like you are not using Opportunties? We are trying to go that route.

KaraAdams
  • Accepted Answer

@CathieWier we too want to begin utilizing Opportunities but aren't quite there yet. Attached outlines how we created new Notes and Tasks types to begin tracking our stewardship activities

(those highlighted in yellow we added in January 2020).

SallyCrossKaraAdams
  • JesikaEllisJesikaEllis
    Conversation Starter Cat Person Dog Person
    ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

@SaraChiabai This is a very thorough resource! Thank you for sharing it. Can I ask how and when and to whom you report out on these notes and tasks? We are in that gray area right now of wanting to keep Opportunities primarily focused on stage-dependent $$$-related development activities but are coming up short on how best to track and report on notes for strictly stewardship or other ongoing relationship-building activities in a way that you seem to be doing.

KaraAdamsLoriMartini
  • JesikaEllisJesikaEllis
    ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

@LoriMartini We have our Opportunities built out - I don't know if it's 'final' or the best structure yet - but I'd be happy to help you out with any issues you're having. Is it mostly just not knowing how to appropriately relate their use to development activities? I will look around Thursday and see if I can't find some examples of how our Opportunities tie in to our development plan that might be helpful for a broader audience.

KaraAdamsLoriMartini
  • Accepted Answer

@JesikaEllis we use these note/task types to identify how many meetings in general, as well as how many first-time meetings, we have in a quarter, as well as how many Professional Advisor and donor referrals, in addition to things such as how many thank you calls and or notes our Board has done. Currently, we are using these to report our Development and Stewardship activities to our CEO quarterly. Before Covid, they were suppose to correlate with the Stewardship Plan and Calendar & Activity Assignment Matrix I am attaching -- I think this helps provide more context to the notes, as well.

@LoriMartini We would love to be a part of a group that wants to work through how best to use opportunities, as well as all of the other available functions that would support development work!

JesikaEllisLoriMartiniChristyVreeland
  • JesikaEllisJesikaEllis
    ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

This is the guide I created for our Development staff to guide them through thinking about Opportunities and creating and managing them. There are specific examples from our Development plan on slides 4, 5, and 6, relating back to how Opportunities can and should be utilized in relation to our strategic development goals.

A huge disclaimer: we are a central administrative office managing and servicing 9 Community Foundation affiliates - many of whom are far-flung geographically from us, and all of whom have a great deal of general autonomy in their day-to-day work. These guides may seem super elementary, but we have to think when creating them of the most rudimentary (yet thorough 😆) explanations and instructions for existing independent staff AS WELL AS for any new hires that come later.

The guide mentions that the Opportunity Types, Stages, and Task Types have already been established by our central office leadership (President and CEO); I tightly manage permissions in CSuite to avoid field staff being able to create/delete Opportunity Types (and lots of other things...) themselves. It's a structured, secure system, that allows for a lot of leeway in use on the part of Development staff.

Also, we have NOT figured out exactly how we are reporting on Opportunities yet. I have been running test reports to see what we may want to have included and how to pull that, but, as of this moment, we have not nailed down a reporting process.

Hope this is helpful - I'm always happy to answer questions or hear feedback!

SaraChiabaiLaurelShulman
  • KarenWolfKarenWolf
    Caramels for Comments Caramel Lover Indoorsy Foundant Fan
    ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Our BOD Marketing Committee was transitioned to a Development Committee last July. The first step we are doing is to rank our database and put donors and organizations into follow up groups(Group A, Group B, Group C...). The rank is based on a list of rank categories the committee identified. I have attached a copy of the list.

With the help of our administrative assistant, we have cleaned and added various ways to track the rankings(Profile types, campaigns, etc.) through the guidance and direction of our CSM(Shout out to @LaurenWolpin). I am at the point this week to present a partial list of our database, donors $25K or more with their rankings to see how this system will work. I am also doing a current Fund List to identify who was influential in bringing the fund to the foundation.

All of this has been a huge undertaking, larger then I ever expected it to be. Our next step will be to determine how to track the database through opportunities so we can link all communications and donations to the opportunity.

If there is a user group created for this please include me. I feel like I am inventing the wheel with all of this and find myself getting overwhelmed by the process. I am happy to read the comments and documents above for guidance and direction and would be happy to provide any additional input into the process for our development plan.

Karen Wolf

Operations Coordinator

Email [email protected]

Web www.cfcwi.org

Facebook www.facebook.com/cfcwi

SaraChiabaiLoriMartiniLaurelShulman

Answers

• I'd love to know more about this also! Thanks for putting the question out there @LoriMartini

Bettie Stammerjohn

Executive Director

Community Foundation of Greene County, Pennsylvania

HollySpitzSaraChiabaiKaraAdamsLoriMartini
  • @SaraChiabai and @CathieWier - thank you both for your comments. We have been using notes since moving over to CSuite and are now trying to build out the opportunities side but I'm struggling for whatever reason. Thank you for the Notes/Tasks update. This is very helpful! I welcome the opp for a users group just for this type of thing!

KaraAdamsCathieWierSaraChiabai
  • @SaraChiabai - Wow. I will be studying your attachments this weekend. I'll also pitch the idea of a user group for opportunities. Thank you!!!

KaraAdams